Hi to all of you awesome ladies. Are you struggling with too much sweating in your armpits? And are you looking for a solution to smell fresh all day long? Today, I am going to share my top ten deodorants for women with you so you can be at ease with your armpit odor.
Staying fresh when you sweat a lot is always a challenge. It takes time and effort to have our bodies clean. We have all learned about hygiene, first at home, family, and friends, but we were also taught about it in school.
You’re not alone in dealing with sweat-related problems. I have been managing and dealing with hyperhidrosis for over 2 decades now so I do know how hard it is. Read my story here.
I remember very well the first time our teachers in grade 5 asked us to put on deodorants. They said that our bodies were rapidly changing and we needed to put on deodorants because they could not stand how awfully we would smell. Yes, deodorant is exactly what we need to stay fresh.
But what do you buy? Or what deodorants do you use? I want to share the ones that have stood the test and will likely give you the bigger picture of which one you want to buy next.
And dear ladies, we all need to educate ourselves about deodorants. Going to the store and buying the first thing that smells good is not necessarily the best choice you can make. Neither is that the guarantee that it will be effective or that it is not a safe product.
In this article, I will help you make an informed choice by giving you a list of the best deodorants. Stick with me, and you will learn new, exciting and practical things.
What Is Deodorant?
There is a common belief that deodorant stops sweating and leaves you dry in your armpits. People also believe that deodorants help you smell good all day long.
But did you know that deodorant is not there to make you smell good, neither to stop your sweating?
Deodorant kills bacteria that breaks down all the proteins and fats that can be found in your sweat. We can literally say that the bacteria pass gasses from these proteins and fats, which produces the awful smell. So deodorant eliminates the bacteria in your armpits so that they will not make you smell. Sweat in itself does not smell bad.
The process is a little more complicated, but let me explain it a little further.
You have two different types of sweat glands: The eccrine and apocrine glands. The first ones are not deep into the layers of skin, while the apocrine glands are located deep down in the layers of your skin.
The eccrine glands sweat directly through our skin and are our air-conditioning system. Sweat produced by our eccrine glands is there to maintain our body temperature and prevent overheating. These sweat glands do not produce sweat when we get nervous, because it is connected to our body temperature. Whenever your body starts getting too hot, these glands kick in and cool your body.
Contrary to the eccrine glands, the apocrine glands are connected to our adrenaline producing hormones. These kick in when we are stressed, under pressure, nervous, depressed, sexually stimulated, among others. And these glands are located directly in our armpits and kick in whenever this happens.
The apocrine glands sweat through our hair follicles and carry fats and proteins along, which is what the bacteria living in armpits likes most. The eccrine glands produce a watery liquid that also unplugs the pores in our skin.
Deodorant contains triclosan and other components that help kill bacteria, as stated before, that prevents the proteins and fats to be consumed by them and leave behind the awful smell.
If you look at the packages of your deodorants, you will find that some say “antiperspirant” and others “deodorant”, and some even say both.
What Is The Difference Between Deodorants and Antiperspirants?
The use of antiperspirants and deodorants have been mixed up by many people and I have seen that some people have no idea what is what and what to use for what. However, there is a very clear difference between antiperspirants and deodorants.
Antiperspirants block the sweat glands and stop your sweating completely. Deodorants eliminate bacteria to help you smell fresh. Deodorants do not stop your sweating problem at all.
Antiperspirants, as much as deodorants, offer only temporary relief. You will start sweating after some time when using antiperspirants. The same with deodorants: You will start to smell bad after a few hours of protection.
Are Deodorants Safe?
If you ask google if deodorants are safe, you will find some interesting theories. Some authors claim that deodorants and antiperspirants are detrimental to your health.
They even go as far as to say that deodorants and antiperspirants raise your risk of different cancers and other diseases.
Between the ’50s and the ’70s, different studies were made and components of deodorants and antiperspirants were tested on animals.
Do you remember the PowerPoint presentations that were sent to you in your email many years ago that addressed deodorants and even mentioned the brands that all contained these chemicals?
But you never threw your deodorants out because you had no idea if that was true, neither did you know what alternative you had? Same with me and my family. Deep down, we knew that we shouldn’t use the products, but we honestly did not know what else to do. Smelling bad every day? No, thanks.
In recent years, there has been a shift in research regarding deodorants and antiperspirants. Now, research institutes claim that there is not enough evidence to prove deodorants and antiperspirants risky for your health. Whether that is true or not, is not in my hands, because I am not a medical researcher. However, this research is convincing and makes sense.
One thing I found through my research is the fact that sweat unclogs the pores in our skin, thus protecting our body from chemicals by washing them away. Isn’t that enough proof that chemicals applied to our body will not enter that easy.
Regardless of that, I think our skin is healthier if we do not use too many harsh chemicals at all. Some things will settle in our body over time if we overdo it. But, deodorant should be safe to use.
There could be a potential danger in deodorants that we use. But we know that danger is not as imminent as once thought.
My Picks: Ten Deodorants For Women
Taking your safety into account, I have listed 100% natural deodorants here, which are not uncommon nowadays, so you can make an informed decision and buy the product that is best for you.
For you that are eco-friendly, there will be products for you as well.
But check out the other options as well, as there are great deodorants that are cheaper if you don’t mind using synthetic deodorants.
There is a number of great deodorants found on the market, from completely natural, to organic, to vegan, to synthetic, among others. You will find various of these deodorants in this list of the best deodorants.
You need to discern between each one and make sure you grab which is the best choice for you.
A handmade product, 100% natural luxurious deodorant stick like the Underarmed stick is a family formula that was tried hundreds of times over the course of over 2 years to bring the best product to you and your whole family, since this a gender-neutral deodorant.
The makers of this product are so sure about their product, that they offer a thirty-day money back guarantee. No lasting health effects have to be worried about since this product is made with first-grade natural ingredients such as beeswax, avocado butter, coconut oil, bean oil, raw honey, and other ingredients.
Making natural deodorants has been tried by many people in the past decades, but few have achieved a high-quality product as Underarmed.
Best quality essential oils like bergamot, lavender, and eucalyptus will not leave bacteria in your armpits and leave a fresh and clean scent the whole day.
What I mostly worry about when buying deodorants is the chemicals and alcohol that irritate my skin. I have used many formulas over the years, and usually, they cause bad skin irritation. The Underarmed natural deodorant with its balanced pH has just the right amount of natural ingredients to make sure that even the most sensitive skin is not irritated.
The good thing about this product is that the less you use the better it works. The makers of this product say that you should only apply a thin layer because it is more effective.
Some users of this product were surprised that after the first few weeks of application of Underarmed, they experienced terrible odors coming from their pits.
This is very normal because your body is detoxing. Residues from antiperspirants and synthetic deodorants that had harsh chemicals are coming out through sweating in the beginning. But that is nothing to worry about. It will go away once this new system is established.
Underarmed is a product that is not only gender-neutral, but also a product for kids, teenagers, and the whole family. Not having been tested on animals, this cruelty-free product is for avid animal lovers and protectors. You will also find this product in recyclable containers that are BPA free.
There are no safety guidelines to follow when using this product.
What I Like About Underarmed
- No harsh chemicals found in this product, only first-grade natural products.
- Amazing customer service
- Smell fresh all day long
- A formula that is tested and proves the effectiveness
What I Do Not Like about Underarmed
- Price – but you get what you pay. The price cannot be compared to synthetic products.
- It is not for me – I suffer from primary hyperhidrosis.
In the past 3 decades, there has been a surge of natural products and clean foods that pretend to make small changes in our lives and improving our health.
Every day people become more conscious of the negative impact chemicals have on our bodies. By using natural products that can solve our every-day problems, entrepreneurs have made new great products that we can use on a daily basis but that will not leave behind health concerns.
Cassey, a strong woman who looked for a solution to an every-day problem like armpit odor, decided that she needed to create her own product if she wanted that problem solved. That is how FATCO was born. Over time, it has launched many other products that are 100% natural.
In her deodorant, she uses coconut oil, arrowroot powder, baking soda, beeswax, grass-fed tallow, and shea butter, which she mixes with essential oils for a day-long fresh scent from your pits.
This product has been well accepted by many people and you will find happy customers who will not go back to another deodorant because they finally found what they were looking for.
Cassey offers a series of deodorants which are also for men. So if you would like to buy her products for your better half, your friend, colleague, find great scents for him.
The only difference between her deodorants for men and woman are the scents. You will find lavender for her, and cypress for him, to mention a few.
What I Like About FATCO Stank Stop Deodorant
- Customer service is outstanding because the FATCO team members are there to help and help you make informed decisions.
- 100% natural product
- Paleo-certified product
- All the other products, like body care and face care from FATCO receive lots of positive feedback on all their products.
What I Do Not Like About FATCO Stank Stop Deodorant
- Price – compared to synthetic products, FATCO is expensive, but 100% natural.
- The non-stain-free formula
- Will not reduce sweating
- Essential oils that can cause skin irritation in people with sensitive skin
3) Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant
Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant was crafted in Bali Islands, a natural, organic and vegan choice for those who love to protect planet Earth and also for those who are concerned about their health.
This deodorant uses nature-friendly products that grow under the tropical sun of Bali Islands, but it does not impede our body from sweating, a natural and important function, yet it keeps bacteria in reasonable numbers to decrease bad odors.
No GMO-ingredients nor any other chemical that is commonly used in synthetic deodorants can be found in this deodorant.
The Balinese have proven to be masters of herbs and natural products. This product is no exception: With seaweed extract, natural mineral salt, distilled water, coconut oil, first-grade essential oils like mint and lavender, among others, this product provides a perfect combination of fragrance, hygiene, and day-long protection.
As with Underarmed, my #1 choice of deodorants, you will have to wait until pores unclog from toxins and chemicals used in other deodorants. It will go away once this new system is established. Please do not give up and continue to try this product until you see a positive effect.
I cannot forget to mention that this is a family product, for men, women, kids, and teenagers.
What I Like About Bali Secrets
- Essential oils contained in this product
- The 30-day money back guarantee
- No stains on clothes
What I Do Not Like About Bali Secrets
- Price – but again, you get what you pay for.
- Not Alcohol-free product. Potential skin irritator for those that have sensitive armpits.
- Will not reduce sweating
When I grew up, my mom bought this product for us because it was supposed to be the best and newest deodorant found on the market. I used this product for well over a year, which was back in my early teens. Too bad I did not know the difference between an antiperspirant and deodorant because I would have probably used it for many more years to follow.
I discovered soon that it did not stop my excessive sweating; it only reduced bad odors. I was in desperate need for a product that would stop my sweating completely.
Crystal Body Deodorant was developed when the maker had seen how effectively mineral salts were used to purify water. He then thought that mineral salt would have the same purifying process in our armpits. He tested and tried until he proved that theory to be correct.
The maker was looking for a solution that would be chemical-free, cruelty-free, and safe by using only natural ingredients. Best mineral salt is mixed with naturally occurring fragrances like essential oils to make this product one of the most effective products I have ever used.
This product is even recommended by dermatologists and cancer treatment centers around the world. If you have sensitive skin, you can rest assured that this product is not going to irritate your skin. Believe me, I have sensitive skin – most synthetic deodorants give me bad rashes in my armpits.
What I Like About Crystal Body Deodorant
- Stain-free formula
- No chemicals – 100% natural
- Price – compare to other options and this is by far the cheapest. One stone will last well over a year.
- Never experience irritation on the skin
What I Do Not Like About Crystal Body Deodorant
- This product is unpractical. You have to moisten the top of the stone before you can use it.
- The stone slips out of your hand pretty easily and often shatters into thousands of pieces.
- Fragrance-free. I like to smell fresh in my armpits and not just plain natural, but I guess that is personal preference.
Sam was looking for a hand-cleaner that would take all the greases and dirt off his hard-working hands, without the chemicals.
He developed his own paste using only natural products, which all started with the crack of a walnut. After having success with this hand-cleaner, he went on to produce more products that would solve every-day problems, such as eliminating bad odors from your armpits.
I absolutely love the mission of this company. They want to add value to the community by giving jobs to people that need it but also do their part to save the world with their eco-friendly policies, and globally-minded team.
Sam’s natural deodorant uses baking soda, coconut oil, candelilla wax, arrowroot powder, pumpkinseed oil, shea butter, rosemary leaf extract, carrot seed oil, and other products to make a wonderful blend that will help you stay fresh all day.
They offer 10+ different scents of this product that will fit the need of every family. The 3 oz sticks bring joy and happiness to the whole family.
What I Like About Sam’s Natural Deodorant
- Family business – I love to support family businesses because they contribute to our world.
- Natural and organic products
- The number of different scents they have
- Other products that they offer from beard oil to candles, to soaps and skin care products
- 3 oz sticks – lasts longer
- Price – compared to other natural and organic deodorants, this product is on the cheaper end.
What I Do Not Like About Sam’s Natural Deodorant
- Might irritate the skin because of essential oils
- Stains that it leaves on clothes
- Pit detoxing can be a hassle at first
Amy Perez is the woman behind this gender-neutral, all natural product, that has gained popularity in recent years. She noticed a bad odor on her young daughter one day, that surprised her because she was still very young.
Knowing that she needed to do something about her daughter’s armpit odor, she was determined to not put any synthetic product on her. She decided that she would take matters into her own hands, and create something for her family.
While training for athletic events, she noticed how companies with synthetic products sponsored many of the events, and also distributed samples of different products that all contained chemicals that she never wanted on her daughter.
The instinct to protect her daughter from chemicals drove her to make her own product since she had not been able to find one on the market that she thought gave her what she needed and was looking for.
And yes, like in other stories, by word of mouth, news traveled around that someone had finally made a product that was 100% natural, Primal Pit Paste.
In no time, her product caught attention and now you will find her products being sold worldwide. She receives tons of positive comments and has many happy customers that have already been using her product for many years.
Perez uses arrowroot powder, coconut oil, candelilla wax, shea butter, baking soda, essential oils, and Vitamin E derived from sunflowers. If you add vitamin E to a deodorant you will help prevent irritation in sensitive armpit areas. Some ingredients, like baking soda, also absorb the wetness.
What I Like About Primal Pit Paste
- Organic products.
- 100% natural deodorant
- Family-owned business
- Customer service
- Gender-neutral: Product for the whole family
- Their website – they offer tips about armpit detox and other helpful information on how to use their products effectively.
- A series of products like body powders, lip balms, and others have been launched by the maker of this deodorant, which means that their product has found approval and has gained credibility.
What I Do Not Like About Primal Pit Paste
- This product is unpractical in my point of view. It is a paste that you apply in very small amounts (not more than the size of a pea).
- Price: One jar contains only 2 ounces, which will not last long if used by the whole family.
- It will not reduce sweating – but that is what deodorants were intended for.
- Expect pit detox, which can be an uncomfortable process.
This one is a completely different option, compared to the ones that I already shared.
A facility that has been ISO certified, and started well over 40 years with the ‘single-application’ concept, Lavilin, stands out for their products that last up to 7 days of odor-free armpits with only one application.
They have discovered where armpit odor comes from and have gone directly to the cause, instead of relieving the symptoms, per se. Herbal extracts are the ones that fight odor-producing bacteria.
Therefore, Lavilin will have a positive effect in your pits for more than the usual 24 hours for other deodorants.
This company claims that you can shower and the effectiveness of this product is not reduced. You can go fresh for up to 7 days, depending on your body, with only one application. How cool is that? Imagine going a full week fresh without having to worry about sweat odor.
Lavilin Deodorant is made with castor seed oil, carnauba wax, potato starch, talc, Matricaria extract, glycine soya, calendula flower extract, arnica flower extract, milk protein, and other ingredients.
Bacteria is attacked with this product, but yet it will let the body sweat and remove toxins, a natural function.
What I Like About Lavilin Deodorant Cream
- Paraben-, alcohol-, and aluminum-free
- Hypoallergenic – for those of sensitive skin this product has been tested
- This product lasts for up to 12 months because you will only use a very little once every few days.
- 40 years that prove this an effective and well-accepted product.
- Natural ingredients used
What I Do Not Like About Lavilin Deodorant Cream
- This product is very expensive if you consider that one package has less than half an ounce of deodorant cream, however, verified customers say that it lasts longer than other deodorants because of the single application.
- Messy and unpractical. Creams are not practical to apply to armpits, but that is only a personal preference.
- Pit detox is something many customers complain about. However, that goes away with time.
- The company claims 7 days of protection, but you can expect it to be much less, depending on your body. I think 3 days odor-free are fantabulous.
The history of this product is very interesting. A woman battled with cancer for some time but lost the battle. Her sister, who had been caring for her and been there during this difficult time, realized that she must make changes in her lifestyle because of the many hazardous chemicals contained in everyday products.
Her view of products for the whole family changed dramatically. She was aware that not all diseases could be prevented by using natural products, but she learned that even little changes made a difference to the whole picture.
She started looking for holistic health and found a gender-neutral all-natural solution to an everyday problem: Stopping bad odors from sweating.
Green Tidings comes from a small family-owned business that is growing rapidly. It is made of tapioca starch, coconut oil, baking soda, shea butter and candelilla wax. The mix of these natural products gives you the perfectly blended deodorant that will eliminate bad odors, but also absorb the wetness.
No soy, no gluten, no aluminum, and no parabens can be found in this product. Even though more proof is needed that these substances have a negative impact on your health, it is better to avoid them in the first place.
As with other 100% natural deodorants, when you first start using this product, you will find that the process of detoxing can give you bad odors and even strange coloration in your armpits, but that should all go away after some time.
I can guarantee that your whole family will thank you for buying a safe product, that has no safety indications, neither harmful chemicals. Plus, you will all enjoy fresh armpits.
What I Like About Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant
- Family-owned business. I love to support the family business, and even more if they bring healthy, chemical-free products in your home.
- 100% natural ingredients.
- Only certified organic products are used.
- This is the first deodorant in this list that uses tapioca starch.
- This is a socially responsible business: Jobs in their facilities are given to people with disabilities.
- An environmentally friendly facility that is solar powered.
What I Do Not Like About Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant
- The first weeks can be tough because of bad odors and skin discoloration.
- The product is effective but does not last long. A tube will last around 8 weeks.
- Price, but you get what you pay for: 100% natural and organic product.
- Irritation of skin when you apply too much.
- Waxes can stain your clothes.
When you live where it is always hot, you sweat a lot, and obviously, armpit odor is awful. The woman behind this probiotic deodorant lives in Florida and loves the ocean.
When she had her first baby, she and her husband decided to do clean eating, and eventually also go with clean products, which means using products that are environmentally friendly, but also gentle on your body.
Because they could not find the perfect solution, the family just gave up on using deodorants at all. Can you imagine? That means to shower a few times during the day, especially if you sweat a lot or if you live in tropical regions.
However, this intelligent lady came up with the idea to make her own product. After doing her research, she made a mix and let her husband try it first. And to her surprise, he came back on that day without smelling bad. And she knew that she must have made something good if her husband could come home and not smell bad after a day of working hard.
She shared her product with locals, who pushed her to set her product into the world and let others benefit from it as well.
Long story short, it did not take long until she successfully started selling Organic Island Deodorant, her own product, online. And guess what, since her family uses this product, and they are happy with it, she has also tried to make other products with the same thing in mind: Keep her family clean and healthy and protect them from harmful chemicals.
She has achieved what she was looking for and she stands for her products. She believes in her own products and guarantees that you will like them.
What is her secret? Organic ingredients from jojoba oil, baking soda, shea butter, coconut oil, cornstarch, candelilla wax, to probiotics. This is the perfect blend of natural ingredients that make this deodorant a perfect choice for anyone looking to use clean products.
What I Like About Schmidt’s Deodorant Stick
- 100% natural product
- Gender-neutral product: To be used by the whole family.
- The ingredients she uses – there are no safety guidelines. If your toddlers accidentally put this product in their mouth, you do not have to be worried.
- A family business that cares about their customers genuinely. You will contact the maker of the product directly whenever you email and she is the one who answers back.
- The company has also launched natural lip balms and other body lotions, which are well accepted and liked by people.
- You can have up to 48 hours of protection.
- One stick lasts up to 4 months because you apply only the smallest amount.
What I Do Not Like About Schmidt’s Deodorant Stick
- Not a stain-free formula
- No fragrance – I personally like to smell good in my armpits. However, this product only neutralizes body odor but has no added natural fragrances.
- Price – Compare a synthetic stick of $2.00 dollars with a any 100% natural stick that costs +$12.00 dollars. Natural deodorants are much more expensive.
An intelligent entrepreneur from Oregon most likely did not have in mind to sell deodorants world-wide. Janie Schmidt knew that no deodorant that she had bought offered what she was looking for. She expected more of deodorant than just synthetic, chemical-loaded products.
Her goal was to teach people about deodorants because she knew that most of them had no idea. Since she had acquired solid knowledge over the years, she went ahead and made her own deodorant. She tested and tried until she found the perfect blend.
Actually, she made it for her family. But it was not long until her circle of friends started asking her for this deodorant and soon it was their favorite. By word of mouth, the news traveled through many homes and soon she was in the middle of a business, that she could have only dreamed about. However, her goal is to help people gain knowledge about deodorants and offer an alternative.
The rest is history. Now, she sells her products worldwide in a wide variety of scents and fragrances and presentations.
Schmidt uses arrowroot powder, coconut oil, candelilla wax, shea butter, baking soda, jojoba seed oil, and essential oils. She also added vitamin E to prevent skin irritation, but rather nourish your sensitive skin, while being able to smell fresh and clean throughout the day. Some ingredients also absorb wetness.
What I Like About Schmidt’s Deodorant Stick
- Environmentally-friendly product.
- A family business that cares about their customers genuinely.
- Schmidt has also launched a line of soaps, balms, and other natural products, which makes this deodorant more trustworthy. Her products have been proven and stood the test.
- Customer service is outstanding. They are willing to share tips on how to use their products more effectively. Answering questions and complaints is their priority.
- This company has so many products that comments will vary so much on all their products. They have received high ratings though.
What I Do Not Like About Schmidt’s Deodorant Stick
- Natural products need correct room temperature. They can easily get too thin and runny from heat (which makes you apply too much) or too hard from cold temperatures (which makes it difficult to apply).
- Waxes can stain your clothes. This product is not as friendly to your clothes as other natural products.
- Price – I mention that over and over again. I do not like the price for these natural products because they do not last very long. However, you have to decide between natural and synthetic.
- Essential oils can irritate your skin, but Vitamin E in this product should alleviate symptoms. However, be careful and apply only a small amount. In case you experience a problem, do not hesitate to contact the company. They will take care of it in a good way.
Educating ourselves about the small changes that we need to make in our lives is very important. Learning about deodorants is just a small step towards change.
Through this post, I hope you are able to make informed choices about your health.
You might ask, why I did not include synthetic products. There is one simple reason for that: Most synthetic deodorants are also antiperspirants. That means, they stop sweating but also eliminate bacteria that cause bad odors. Check out our best deodorant-antiperspirants.
However, these ten deodorants for women are all natural, which is good, because you can go clean and do your health a favor by using only organic and natural products. We need to be more careful with planet Earth as well and by using natural products, you make an important contribution.
I love all these all-natural products that I reviewed. Each one of them is unique and has its own story, which makes them a better choice for your health and for your environment, although maybe not for your wallet because they are a bit pricier.
This is your ultimate guide to eliminating bad and musky odors from your armpits.
If you found the review of these products helpful and informative, please do me a favor: Share with family and friends so they benefit from this review as well. Share by clicking the social media buttons below. And please drop me comment on thoughts or questions so I can get to know my readers.
Thanks for stopping by!
Have a wonderful day!
Ready to Make a Change Now?
My name is Oscar and I am the founder and director of Stop-Sweating-Now.com and have been researching and writing about hyperhidrosis for many years.
I have been sweating excessively for the better part of my life. I looked for solutions for well over a decade, but I never found anything that lasted.
It all started when I was around 14 years of age, when I suddenly found out that I was sweating more in my armpits than I should. At first I thought it was something that would go away soon, but I was wrong.
I had given up hope and accepted to live the rest of my life being embarrassed with ugly sweat stains in my armpits.
However, after a few years of not searching for any solutions anymore, I gave it another shot. And I found what finally gave me the freedom I had longed for so many years.
After finding a solution to my problem, I decided it was important to shout out my message to those that are suffering from what I had lived with so many years.
My goal is to help people find their freedom from sweating by sharing my expertise because hyperhidrosis is an underdiagnosed condition.
People don’t know that it is a medical term and can be treated effectively.
That is why I am here: Sharing with you what I know, what works and what does not work.
Want to learn more about what I did? Click below!