Last updated on July 18th, 2019 at 04:40 am
We all sweat in our armpits, some more and some less. However, we all hate to get wet in our armpits because that is so uncomfortable. I have lived it for years and have wondered how to stop it.
So, all we that sweat want to know if there is a deodorant that stops sweating.
Sweating is very important to our bodies because it regulates our temperature. In fact, if we would not sweat, our body temperature can rise to dangerous levels. But sweating gets in our way when we get all sticky, stinky, and uncomfortable.
When our clothes become drenched and have sweat marks all over, or when our armpits begin to smell so bad, sweating also makes us feel socially unacceptable. But there are people, around 2-3% of the population that have this problem day in day out.
These individuals suffer from hyperhidrosis, a condition when people sweat excessively either in their armpits, their head, neck, groin, palms, and feet, but they cannot (at least not in all cases) do anything about it.
There are people that suffer from secondary hyperhidrosis, which is a condition that is caused by health issues, in which cases, sweating is a symptom of a more serious problem. For example, people with heart diseases tend to sweat excessively because their heart has a difficult time getting the blood supply around.
Also, cancer patients often report excessive sweating. Obesity is another common trigger of excessive sweating.
Then there are people, like me, that sweat excessively for an unknown reason. It seems to be a hormonal imbalance, yet no doctor can prescribe medicine that is completely effective. These individuals sweat more when they are nervous, but it seems to happen all the time, no matter what time of year, what climate they live in, or in what circumstances they are.
This condition is called primary hyperhidrosis. The good news is that this condition does not affect your health in any way, nor does it cause any other problems related to our bodies. However, primary hyperhidrosis can be a serious social blocking stone! You have to be really strong to get among people because your focus is on all those ugly sweat marks and how you can see people thinking crazy about you.
I have lived with this condition for many years and shopping for clothes is not even fun because there are only certain colors that you can wear, only certain fabrics if you want to hide your problem.
In short, either primary, secondary hyperhidrosis or just normal sweating can be uncomfortable and annoying to the point where you are looking for a solution.
Is There A Deodorant That Stops Sweating?
For years, I looked for a solution to my problem. I went through the stores and looked at their deodorants and antiperspirants to see which one would work. Some products, like Arm & Hammer, which I have used for years, claims that it controls your sweat and last for long.
But that is simply not true for sufferers of hyperhidrosis. For people that sweat mildly and only when it gets hot or when they do fitness training or similar activities, this deodorant/antiperspirant can be effective. But for me, it never helped.
And I wondered for many years why this product would not help when it claimed to be effective.
After years of living with the fact that no deodorant gave me relief from excessive sweating, I found the answer and I am going to share it with you.
Deodorants Do Not Stop Sweating – Antiperspirants Do
As simple as that: Deodorants do not stop sweating. They contain chemicals (in conventional deodorants) and essential oils (in natural deodorants) that only control the bacteria living in your armpits.
Sweating itself does not smell bad. The bacteria that live in our armpits, feasts on the proteins, salts, and minerals that sweat contains. Gasses produced by these bacteria leave behind the unpleasant smell.
Therefore, there are no deodorants that stop sweating because they were not meant to stop sweating: They were meant to stop the stinking.
However, antiperspirants contain aluminum components that form a gel-like substance in your armpits which block the sweat glands.
If you are looking for deodorants that stop sweating, unfortunately, you will not find one. There are many deodorants- antiperspirants that do help to reduce sweating, but they will not stop it, because these products do not contain enough aluminum chloride to stop sweating.
The difference between deodorants and antiperspirants is that one stops the bad smell and the other one stops the sweating.
If you buy a product that is both deodorant-antiperspirant, then it will likely reduce sweating and control bacteria so you can smell better.
Which Are The Best Deodorants?
1) Underarmed – A personal favorite 100% natural deodorant that is gender-neutral. This deodorant is made of only top-grade natural ingredients that do not irritate your skin easily because of a correctly balanced pH. When you use it though, you might experience very bad odors at the beginning, but that will go away after some time if you stick to it. Full product review.
2) Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant – A 100% natural organic deodorant stick. With seaweed extract, mineral salt, distilled water, and many other great ingredients, that leave no stains on your clothes, this is a must-try deodorant stick.
3) Crystal Body Deodorant Stick – This deodorant is a stick that was made of mineral salt which purifies our armpits and stops the bad odors. This is a product I used a long time ago and loved it very much! Although it is scent-free, you will smell fresh in your armpits. Full product review.
4) Primal Pit Paste Deodorant – This gender-neutral product for the whole family contains only the best natural products available for deodorants were used to create this unique blend that stops your armpit odor. This family-owned business is dedicated to bringing outstanding products to your home.
5) Green Tidings Deodorant – After facing personal challenges, the maker of this product was convinced that there must be natural options for deodorants, instead of conventional ones. Not only can you enjoy good-smelling armpits, but also a product that has no contraindications because it is made of only natural ingredients that do their job well.
6) Organic Islands Deodorant – Made in Florida where sweating is daily because of the humid weather, the maker of this product embarked on a journey to find a way of living with natural alternatives for everyday use. She tested her new-found product on her husband and perfected it until it was effective. Check our her product here.
7) High Endurance by Old Spice – This conventional blue gel deodorant, a long-time favorite for many individuals, will make you smell good in your armpits, although the protection is not long-lasting if you sweat excessively. But for mild to moderate sweaters, this product is an excellent and cheap option.
8) Arm & Hammer – Made from the company that has provided me with deodorants for many years, this conventional option uses baking soda, a moisture-wicking product, along with natural products to stop bad odors. This deodorant stick is also a cheap option but reduces sweat odors very well.
9) Speed Stick by Mennen – A list of favorite deodorants is not complete without this all-time favorite conventional deodorant. This product has been trusted for years and you can find it literally in every store that has deodorants. However, this product is a synthetic product, which means that it has little to no natural ingredients. However, a great option for anybody seeking a quick fix.
10) Schmidt’s Deodorant Stick – This awesome all-natural product is also a great option for those seeking to fix their bad odors the natural way. From ingredients that absorb wetness to the ones that eliminate bacteria, to the ones that make you smell good – this an all-in-one deodorant. Although on the pricier side, it is a very trusted brand. Full product review.
Which Are The Best Antiperspirants?
1) Sweatblock – This highly effective clinical strength antiperspirant contains aluminum chloride in a high percentage, which makes it the best option for individuals suffering from hyperhidrosis, like me. This is one of my personal favorite antiperspirants that has helped me many times to stay sweat-free for up to 7 days. You only need to dab the small towelettes to your completely dry armpits and let air dry and you are done for the next few days. Full product review.
2) Duradry – Made by a young guy who had been fighting with excessive sweating for many years and had found no solution, Duradry is the effective non-irritating formula. It comes in PM and AM. The first one is applied only every 3-7 days before bedtime, while the AM is applied every day since it is a deodorant. Full product review.
3) ZeroSweat – This roll-on product is more practical than small and messy towelettes can be. ZeroSweat also contains aluminum chloride which gives you protection for up to 10 days, depending on your body’s reaction to the product. This trusted company also offers a product that stops palmar sweating. With many people having positive experiences, this product is a trusted antiperspirant. Full product review.
4) Certain Dri – Although little is known about the maker or origin of this product, it has stood the test over the years. It was among the first clinical strength antiperspirant that is highly recommended by dermatologists because of its effectiveness to treat excessive sweating. They offer a few different versions, for those who sweat excessively, and those that do not sweat that much. Full product review.
5) Drysol – Considered a medication and not an antiperspirant, this dab on cream/lotion contains 20% aluminum chloride, which is fairly high. But it can be applied not only to armpits, but also to feet and hands, and also very carefully to your face and other excessive sweating areas. However, precaution must be taken since it can irritate your skin if instructions are not followed completely.
6) Dove Men+Care Clinical Antiperspirant Deodorant Stick – This stick is tough on your sweat. This conventional, non-clinical strength product reduces your sweating and gives you protection for up to 48 hours. It works best when applied a few hours before you do your fitness training, as it will block the sweat glands temporarily and make you smell great too. Although this product is not effective for hyperhidrosis sufferers, it does reduce sweating in your armpits.
7) Degree Dry Protection Antiperspirant – Similar to the Dove antiperspirant, this stick also protects you from sweating for up to 2 days. Again, this synthetic product will not stop your sweating completely but will have a major effect on it. The good thing about this product is that it is also a deodorant, which makes you smell great all day long.
8) Maxim Antiperspirant – This roll-on stick can last well up to a year because it is only applied a maximum of 2-3 times per week. This clinical strength antiperspirant gives you protection like the other products in the same category. One thing that is great about Maxim is that it is alcohol-free. Since many people have sensitive skin in their armpits, this product will not irritate your skin. Just apply before bedtime to your completely dry armpits and you are ready to go dry for days.
As you can see, there is not a deodorant that will stop your sweating because that is not what deodorants are made for. You can stop sweating only by using an antiperspirant, which many times come both in one stick.
I am so happy there are so many great solutions to sweating on the market because the clinical strength antiperspirants have changed my life completely ever since I found out about them. Now I can go free from sweat marks all day long and have dry armpits, as I would have never dreamed of.
If you cannot or do not want to put on clinical strength antiperspirants because of health reasons, or others, you can also grab one of the mentioned 100% natural deodorants and get yourself a sweat-proof undershirt, that will not stop sweating at all, but will at least protect you from sweat marks and keep your new clothes in great condition for a long time.
Have you tried one of the mentioned products? Was your experience positive or negative? Please leave a comment below and share what found out about these products.
Also, please share this article with your family and friends by clicking the social media buttons below.